What Is A Recumbent Bike
A recumbent bicycle is a bicycle that places the rider in a laid-back reclining position. Most recumbent riders choose this type of design for ergonomic reasons: the rider’s weight is distributed comfortably over a larger area, supported by the back and buttocks. Wikipedia
Benefits of a Recumbent bicycle
Exercising on a bike is a great way for getting a good workout for almost everybody.
It not only lets you do a heart-pumping cardio workout without demanding too much of your knees and joints, but it targets most of the major muscles in your body
Using a recumbent bike, you will get the same benefits that you would with an upright bike,
The major difference is due to its seat arrangement, you will experience less back strain and will be more comfortable during your workout.
Because of the seat difference, Recumbent bikes are ideal for individuals with mobility or balance problems, including older adults because they are much easier to get on and off.
A recumbent bike allows your hands to be totally free, you don’t need to grab onto the handles if you don’t want to.
Most recumbent bikes have handles on either side of the seat that you can grab onto if you’d like, you won’t lose your balance if you don’t.
Having your hands free throughout your workout gives you the freedom to work, read a book, or text without worrying about losing your balance.
Another benefit of having your hands free is that you can actually have a more complete workout by adding an upper body weight routine while you pedal.
In this post, I will be looking at the top 3 recumbent bikes (in my opinion)
Schwinn Recunment Bike 230
The Schwinn 230 Bike offers lots of programming on a tight budget. Purchased for under $500 or less, it’s a solid deal with considering. Those starting out in more prime physical condition are likely going to be better served picking a bike with a heavier flywheel, but it’s fairly clear that this isn’t who Schwinn is targeting here.
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is a step up and doesn’t cost much more. We also recommend reading our honest reviews of recumbent bikes by Sole, Vision, and other more reputable exercise bike brands.
Item Dimensions LxWxH
64 x 27.7 x 49.9 inches
Maximum Weight Recommendation
Number of Resistance Levels
About this item
- Goal Track capability enables the user to set individual exercise goals
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system for easy start-up and smooth, quiet workouts
- DualTrack 2 LCD screen displays offer increased visibility to programs and goal tracking
- 22 preset workout programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start
4.0 out of 5 stars
Good bike for the price
Reviewed in Canada on April 4, 2019
Style Name: Schwinn 230Verified Purchase
I replaced my old Schwinn with this one as my old one gave up the ghost; I was unable to get it fixed as it was considered obsolete and parts were no longer available.
I have been using my new one for the last three weeks and happy with it except for a couple of things such as I find the seat & backrest uncomfortable (I don’t have much natural padding), the monitor is positioned too high affecting the view of my TV.
Most importantly I’m now having a problem with the heart rate sensors as I don’t get a reading on the display until I’m halfway through my 30-minute workout. I called Schwinn and the problem solved once I put some hand lotion on I instantly got a reading. So unless your bony like me and have dry hands you shouldn’t have any issues lol.
The Nautilus 618 recumbent bike is a mid-range bike with a few impressive health-club-style features.
The seat adjustability (forward and back, back angle) and comfort (gel seat, extra padding), is a great plus, along with the step-thru design, you don’t have to lift a leg to get on and off – which is great if you’re dealing with an injury makes this a very good investment.
The console is backlit and easy to read. Plus you can connect with RideSocial and add some virtual reality training if you need some extra challenge.
The heavier unit weight and weighted pedals give it more of a health-club feel to the bike. Overall a great recumbent bike and very reasonable priced.
About this item
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Nautilus Trainer 2 App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Dimensions: 67.3″ L x 26.4″ W x 48.8″ H; Product Weight: 107.1 pounds
- Sync with free downloadable RideSocial App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real-time
- 29 customizable workout programs
- Adjustable SightLine console with dual blue backlit screens. Maximum user weight: 325 pounds
- Multi-position handlebars with integrated incline/resistance controls
- 3 piece chrome crank system with weighted pedals
5.0 out of 5 stars
Nautilus R616 recumbent exercise bike
Reviewed in the United States on January 9, 2019
Style Name: Nautilus R616Verified Purchase
I’m 77, disabled, recovering from hip replacement surgery, and must get a knee replacement next week.
My wife is 73, able, and smart (which helps a lot). UPS delivered the box with some exterior damage which we photographed. There was some interior breaking of Styrofoam, but all parts were well protected and looked good.
With some rest breaks, we were able to assemble this stationary bike according to clear instructions in 2 1/2 hours. Stable boxes to rest the machine on during assembly are helpful. Tools provided are enough, except the Philips-head screwdriver provided is useless, so I used one of our own which also has Allen wrench heads. Using pro tools was a plus.
If two old people can put this bike together without harsh words, anyone can. I’ll add more comments as we use it for exercise and my joint recovery.
The Exerpeutic 4000 recumbent bike is a very good investment for many reasons. Besides the main functions of a typical recumbent bike, it is recognized by different components inside, which improve its workout efficiency.
Although it has left some minors in use, however, there are many reasons why this type becomes one of the most popular items in the fitness market. If you want to contact your console with different smart devices, this machine is your great companion.
Black and Grey
Item Dimensions LxWxH
58 x 30 x 41 inches
Number of Resistance Levels
- “Open Step In” design providing very easy on and off capability with an extended Weight Capacity of up to 325lbs
- Product Dimensions: 55″L x25″W x 64″H | Product Weight: 84 lbs
- The AIRSOFT Seat is large and oversized (13” L X 17” W and 3 ½” thick ), that uses an alternating pressure chamber system that eliminates soreness and pressure points for a longer workout session
- 24 Pre-set Workout Programs, 24 resistance levels, 3 Computer goal workout settings: distance, time and calories burned, 1 Quick Start Program, and 1 Heart Rate Recovery Test
- Extended Weight Capacity up to 325lbs.
- High Visibility Backlit LCD Computer displays distance, time, RPM, calories burned, speed, pulse, odometer, and Watts
- Included Components: recumbent bike, tools, manual
BUY NOW HERE
5.0 out of 5 stars
Sturdy, solid, noise-free.
Reviewed in the United States on June 28, 2020
It took 2 of us to assemble the bike. It took us 1.5 hours to complete. Instructions were quite easy to follow.
Gave it a test ride, adjusting the seat forwards and backward, was quite easy. Found the perfect placement and off I went.
This bike is sturdy, feels solid, and is noise-free. Found the perfect spot in my home for me to ride every day.
Still working on learning the control panel for the many levels offered in this bike. After 2 hours of completing the bike, I rode for 35 minutes and did 4.5 miles. I’m so pleased I took the time to search for the right Recumbent Bike.
When I saw this one, it had everything I was looking for. I get to be 67 years old and I have big goals to achieve and I’ll do it on this bike!!!
THESE ITEMS ANS MORE CAN BE PURCHASED ON AMAZON. COM CLICK HERE
Hope you found this post helpful please leave your comments and questions, I will reply ASAP
NOTE: This post includes affiliate links, which, if clicked on and a product purchased, I get a small commission (with no increase in cost to you)