Musculoskeletal Disease in seniors. Causes And Prevention
In this post, I will be looking at bone density one of the Musculosketial diseases that can affect us.
Bone is made mostly of collagen, a protein that is woven into a flexible framework.
Bone also contains calcium phosphate and calcium carbonate, minerals that add strength and harden the framework.
The combination of calcium and collagen gives the bone its strength and flexibility.
The flexibility (or ability to withstand stress) of the bone protects it from breaking.
Bone is strong because of calcium, but bone also acts as a storehouse for calcium.
In fact, more than 99% of the body’s calcium is contained in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is in the blood.