What Is A Recumbent Bike
A recumbent bicycle is a bicycle that places the rider in a laid-back reclining position. Most recumbent riders choose this type of design for ergonomic reasons: the rider’s weight is distributed comfortably over a larger area, supported by the back and buttocks. Wikipedia
Benefits of a Recumbent bicycle
Exercising on a bike is an excellent way to get a good workout for almost everybody.
It not only lets you do a heart-pumping cardio workout without demanding too much of your knees and joints, but it also targets most of your body’s major muscles.
Using a recumbent bike, you will get the same benefits that you would with an upright bike,
The significant difference is its seat arrangement; you will experience less back strain and be more comfortable during your workout.
Because of the seat difference, Recumbent bikes are ideal for individuals with mobility or balance problems, including older adults, because they are much easier to get on and off.
A recumbent bike allows your hands to be free, and you don’t need to grab onto the handles if you don’t want to.
Most recumbent bikes have handles on either side of the seat that you can grab onto if you’d like; you won’t lose your balance if you don’t.
Freeing your hands throughout your workout allows you to work, read a book, or text without worrying about losing your balance.
Another benefit of having your hands free is having a more complete workout by adding an upper body weight routine while you pedal.
In this post, I will be looking at the top 3 recumbent bikes (in my opinion)
Schwinn Recunment Bike 230
The Schwinn 230 Bike offers lots of programming on a tight budget. Purchased for under $500 or less, it’s a solid deal considering. Those starting in more prime physical condition will likely be better served picking a bike with a heavier flywheel, but it’s pretty clear that this isn’t who Schwinn is targeting here.
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is a step up and doesn’t cost much more. We also recommend reading our honest reviews of recumbent bikes by Sole, Vision, and other reputable exercise bike brands.
Item Dimensions LxWxH
64 x 27.7 x 49.9 inches
Maximum Weight Recommendation
Number of Resistance Levels
About this item
- Goal Track capability enables the user to set individual exercise goals
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High-speed, high inertia drive system for easy start-up and smooth, quiet workouts
- DualTrack 2 LCD screen displays offer increased visibility to programs and goal tracking
- 22 preset workout programs: 9 profile, 8. heart rate control, 2. fitness test, 1. quick start
4.0 out of 5 stars
Good bike for the price
Reviewed in Canada on April 4, 2019
Style Name: Schwinn 230Verified Purchase
I replaced my old Schwinn with this one as my old one gave up the ghost; I could not get it fixed as it was considered obsolete, and parts were no longer available.
I have been using my new one for the last three weeks and am happy with it except for a couple of things such as I find the seat & backrest uncomfortable (I don’t have much natural padding), the monitor is positioned too high affecting the view of my TV.
Most importantly, I’m having a problem with the heart rate sensors as I don’t get a reading on the display until I’m halfway through my 30-minute workout. I called Schwinn, and the problem was solved once I put some hand lotion on; I instantly got a reading. So unless you bony like me and have dry hands, you shouldn’t have any issues lol.
The Nautilus 618 recumbent bike is a mid-range bike with impressive health-club-style features.
The seat adjustability (forward and back, back angle) and comfort (gel seat, extra padding) is a great plus, along with the step-thru design, you don’t have to lift a leg to get on and off – which is great if you’re dealing with an injury makes this an excellent investment.
The console is backlit and easy to read. Plus, you can connect with RideSocial and add virtual reality training if you need extra challenges.
The heavier unit weight and weighted pedals give it more of a health club feel to the bike. Overall a great recumbent bike and very reasonably priced.
About this item
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Nautilus Trainer 2 App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Dimensions: 67.3″ L x 26.4″ W x 48.8″ H; Product Weight: 107.1 pounds
- Sync with the free downloadable RideSocial App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real-time
- 29 customizable workout programs
- Adjustable SightLine console with dual blue backlit screens. Maximum user weight: 325 pounds
- Multi-position handlebars with integrated incline/resistance controls
- Three piece chrome crank system with weighted pedals
5.0 out of 5 stars
Nautilus R616 recumbent exercise bike
Reviewed in the United States on January 9, 2019
Style Name: Nautilus R616Verified Purchase
I’m 77, disabled, recovering from hip replacement surgery, and must get a knee replacement next week.
My wife is 73, able, and intelligent (which helps a lot). UPS delivered the box with some exterior damage which we photographed. There was some interior breaking of Styrofoam, but all parts were well-protected and looked good.
With some rest breaks, we assembled this stationary bike according to precise instructions in 2 1/2 hours. Sturdy boxes to rest the machine on during assembly are helpful. The tools provided are enough, except the Philips-head screwdriver is useless, so I used one of our own, which also has Allen wrench heads. Using pro tools was a plus.
Anyone can if two old people can put this bike together without harsh words. I’ll add more comments as we use it for exercise and my joint recovery.
The Exerpeutic 4000 recumbent bike is an excellent investment for many reasons. Besides the main functions of a typical recumbent bike, it is recognized by different components inside, which improve its workout efficiency.
Although it has left some minors in use, there are many reasons why this type has become one of the most popular items in the fitness market. This machine is your great companion if you want to contact your console with different smart devices.
Black and Grey
Item Dimensions LxWxH
58 x 30 x 41 inches
Number of Resistance Levels
- “Open Step In” design provides very easy on and off capability with an extended Weight Capacity of up to 325lbs
- Product Dimensions: 55″L x25″W x 64″H | Product Weight: 84 lbs
- The AIRSOFT Seat is large and oversized (13″ L X 17″ W and 3 ½” thick ) that uses an alternating pressure chamber system that eliminates soreness and pressure points for a longer workout session
- 24 Preset Workout Programs, 24 resistance levels, 3 Computer goal workout settings: distance, time, and calories burned, 1 Quick Start Program, and 1 Heart Rate Recovery Test
- Extended Weight Capacity up to 325lbs.
- High Visibility Backlit LCD Computer displays distance, time, RPM, calories burned, speed, pulse, odometer, and Watts
- Included Components: recumbent bike, tools, manual
BUY NOW HERE
5.0 out of 5 stars
Sturdy, solid, and noise-free.
Reviewed in the United States on June 28, 2020
It took 2 of us to assemble the bike. It took us 1.5 hours to complete. Instructions were relatively easy to follow.
I gave it a test ride; adjusting the seat forwards and backward was quite easy. Found the perfect placement, and off I went.
This bike is sturdy, feels solid, and is noise-free. Found the perfect spot in my home for me to ride every day.
Still working on learning the control panel for the many levels offered in this bike. After 2 hours of completing the bike, I rode for 35 minutes and did 4.5 miles. I’m so pleased I took the time to search for the right Recumbent Bike.
When I saw this one, it had everything I was looking for. I get to be 67 years old, and I have big goals to achieve, and I’ll do it on this bike!!!
THESE ITEMS AND MORE CAN BE PURCHASED ON AMAZON. COM CLICK HERE
I hope you found this post helpful; please leave your comments and questions, and I will reply ASAP.
NOTE: This post includes affiliate links, which, if clicked on and a product purchased, I get a small commission (with no increase in cost to you)